Careers: Opportunities and tools for researchers wishing to work outside of academia
This workshop will address the following issues faced by most PhD students and research staff / early career researchers:
- What jobs can I do after my PhD?
- How can I market myself to employers outside of academia?
- What skills and experience are non-academic employers looking for?
- When should I quit applying for academic jobs and start looking elsewhere?
Aimed atDoctoral Researchers (mid stage, final stage) and Postdoctoral Researchers
Suitable for those considering their career options and wishing to work outside of academia.
Participants must arrive on time and engage fully with the whole session.
Key learning outcomes
By the end of this session, participants will have an understanding of:
- Changing career paths - facts and mindset
- Identifying your transferable skills
- Communicating your value to employers
- Tools and resources for career changers
Dr Louise Bamford, Careers Consultant (Researchers), Brunel Graduate School and Professional Development Centre
Health and Safety and general notice
Participants will be viewing presentations projected onto a SMART Board screen. Participants may be required to work in groups. Refreshments may be available at the venue.
You must login to see and book workshop dates.Login